Sleep Apnea Treatment in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Do you have trouble falling asleep in the night?
- Do you face poor performance in everyday activities?
- Are you facing a sleep disorder?
Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that occurs when a person’s breathing is interrupted during his/her sleep. People with untreated sleep apnea can stop breathing up to hundreds of times in their sleep. There are two types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): Usually when the soft tissue in the back of the throat collapses during sleep, it obstructs the airway.
- Central sleep apnea: Here the airway is not blocked, but the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe due to the instability of the respiratory control center.
Sleep apnea can occur at any age and some of the possible risk factors include:
- Over the age of 40 years
- Having large tonsils, large tongue or small jaw bone
- Family history of sleep apnea
- Gastroesophageal reflux or GERD
- Nasal obstruction due to deviated septum, allergies or sinus problems
What are the effects of sleep apnea, if left untreated?
- High blood pressure
- Heart attack/Heart failure
- Worsening of attention deficit disorder
Some of the treatment interventions that can help in sleep apnea cases include:
- CPAP: Control positive airway pressure is used for the treatment of OSA.
- Oral/dental devices like a mandibular advancement device (MAD) and a tongue retaining device can be used for the treatment of OSA.
Book an appointment with Smile360 Family Dentistry and have a consultation with Dr Niraj Shah or Dr Megha Shah for the treatment of your sleep disorders.